Habari gani – kuumba : What’s the news? Creativity.
In addition to lighting the candle of kuumba (creativity) we will gather together in celebration. Each guest will share food from their abundance. By combining our resources, we shall all eat our fill.
We will be called to the table by the ngoma (drum.) We will light the sixth candle (green) and remember our ancestors. Our children will demonstrate their creativity through song and dance. We will drink from the kikombe cha umoja (cup of unity.) We will celebrate creativity.
We will end the year with love and joy.
The principle of kuumba – creativity
It takes more creativity than money to succeed. Through all adversity, creativity has been an underlying theme in African-American survival. It is an American way of life.
Creativity entertains us. Creativity sustains us. Creativity makes us grow. Creativity gives us joy. Creativity solves problems.
Creativity turned table scraps into soul food. Creativity brought us jazz and tap dancing. Creativity invented the rent party. Creativity invented Kwanzaa.
Creativity lights the path.
When adversity rears its ugly head, counter it with creativity. Creativity will always win.
My kuumba resolutions
- I will continue to look at solutions, not problems.
- I will continue to be the source of solutions, and expect to overcome adversity with creativity.
- I will continue to sing and dance and celebrate life.
- I will continue to use my creative energy to improve my life and the lives of others.
- I will support the creative endeavors from others in my community, especially those of children.
Harambee, harambee, harambee, harambee, harambee, harambee